PARADISE AIR currently seeks an artist who wishes to create work while residing at PARADISE AIR in Matsudo City, Chiba Prefecture, Japan, as part of the PARADISEAIR LONGSTAY Program 2016.
During Japan’s Edo Period – while many towns developed under the rule of Feudal Lords and Samurai who worked to expand the Shogunate’s Imperial Fief – Matsudo flourished as an independent city untethered by feudalistic growth. As an inn town, the prosperity of Matsudo stemmed from the foot traffic of the Mitokaido highway, and from the nautical trade that bustled along the Edo River, but, most importantly, Matsudo has long been fabled for exceptional townsfolk. The people of Matsudo remain praised by visitors for their remarkable hospitality and obliging nature.
PARADISE AIR is an artist-in-residence program created in 2013 to revitalize Matsudo in light of its history as an inn town. Rakuen, the four-story-love-hotel-turned-pachinko-parlor across the street from Matsudo Station, operated for many years without any business operations on its top floor until Hamatomo Kanko Co., Ltd. offered up two of those unused rooms to begin PARADISE AIR. Two programs were born from this initiative: LONGSTAY, in which two foreign artists per year are hosted in Rakuen as they create work that engages the city of Matsudo; and SHORT STAY, a “one night, one art” program which encourages both foreign and Japanese artists to stop through Matsudo to present or perform their work in exchange for lodging.
This year’sLONGSTAY Program2o16 will host One artists from abroad.
The theme, “START,” encourages artists to incorporate Matsudo’s regional resources into a proposal that explores the town’s temporal, spatial, and/or physical “place.”
The word “START,” which holds three composite meanings, marks a fresh beginning.
In the 4 years since we started the program, we have hosted many artists from various nationalities and regions in Matsudo. The fruits of our activities are starting to shine like “STARs” in the sky.
We hope that stars of “ART” you create this year in Matsudo will connect with other stars to form a new constellation.
This year marks a new “START” for PARADISE AIR with a new operating structure. We hope you find as many stars as you can in the town, which aims to be a part of the big constellations of the world. You might discover something completely different or new, when you connect with others here. Feel free to interpret the word “START” to draw your own star map of people, town, and the present from your point of view.
Timeline of LONG STAY PROGRAM
Term of Residence (Projected): Saturday, October 1st, 2016 to Wednesday, December 28th, 2016 (90 days).
- One artist will be selected this year.
- Applicants must not hold Japanese citizenship.NOTE: Art Groups may not apply.
Applicants must meet the following conditions:
- Enjoy having dialogues with the town.
- Currently live and work as a visual, musical, fine, or experimental artist.
- Be willing and able to engage in genuine cultural exchange with regional artists and local residents during the term of residency.
- Have a desire to connect with local leaders and conduct regular fieldwork and/or interviews.
- An artist may plan to work collaboratively with an artist in the Matsudo region.
- Must be in good physical and mental health.
- Flexibility toward program scheduling, rules, and administration.
- Be able to conduct everyday life in Japanese and/or English language.
Main Program Schedule (Tentative)
Oct. 1 (Sat) Arrival in Japan
Oct. 4 (Tue) Meeting to discuss artists’ plan, Welcome party
Oct.8 (Sat) Self-Introductory Artist Talk for locals & Reception
Dec.17 (Sat) Final Presentation/Performance
Dec.28 (Wed) Departure from Japan
Program Support Package
- Round trip transportation from the artist’s home to Matsudo
- Residence at PARADISE AIR
- Up to ¥200,000 for production costs, to be decided via project proposal.
- Daily stipend of ¥3,000
- Costs associated with local talks, performances, etc.
- Costs of transporting works of art created during the program.
- Local support for activities and product of work
- Costs associated with advertisement and promotion
- -We kindly ask that applicants plan to participate in the program with their own health insurance. PARADISE AIR may not serve as an insurer nor guarantor.
- -While we generally accommodate artists who come to Matsudo alone, we still encourage applications from those who intend to bring along his/her spouse and/or children. Please indicate clearly in the application if you wish to do so.
- -During the program, we ask artists to arrange their meals using their daily stipend. Both local restaurants and an in-suite kitchen will be available for use.
- -For an artist hailing from a country that does not maintain a tax treaty with Japan, we must assess a 20% income tax upon the daily stipend and production costs.
For more information, please visit:
Copyright & Public Relations
- Copyright and ownership of work created during the program will remain that of the artist.
- Matsudo Community Planning Council retains the right to photograph and film all events, performances, workshops, and exhibitions conducted by the artist during the duration of the program.
- We request full participant cooperation with all program coverage by the media, as well as with coverage by our staff and sponsors.
- A request may be made for a piece to be donated to Matsudo, but the artist reserves the right to rejection.
１) Application Materials
Articles A-C listed below must be submitted to be considered for participation in the program. Please note that direct attachments to an email will not be accepted. Please submit a link to a Dropbox, Hightail, or other file share folder via email.
A: Application Form (PDF or Word document in A4 size)
- Please fill in the form to enroll for the selection.
- Please fully complete and submit the application form for PARADISE AIR that can be downloaded via this link.
In the event that you are unable to download the application form, please contact us directly for the necessary documents via email at: email@example.com
B: A detailed project proposal or plan of action for the duration of the program (PDF or Word document in A4 size)
C: A PDF portfolio (A4) or photographs of work.
Please compile all photographs or portfolio documents into a single folder.
-Please limit your portfolio folder to 50MB or less.
-Feel free to submit visual or audio recordings of work (Each piece should be less than five minutes).
*We prefer to receive youtube links for video works.
D：passport or identification card
A copy of passport or identification card * Identification page of passport, or other official identification document with a photo
２)Period for Application Submittal
May 25, 2016 to July 31, 2016.
３) Mail Address for Applications
Please submit your application to the following address, with the subject line “2016_your name”
４） Contact Information
We unfortunately cannot answer any inquiries regarding the selection process.
Selection and Notification
A committee of local leaders and outside judges will determine the best applicant from the submitted materials.
[PARADISE AIR Examination Committee]
- Fumihiko Sumitomo (Curator, Director of Arts Maebashi)
- Yoshitaka Mohri (Sociologist, Associate Professor at Tokyo National University of Fine Arts and Music)
- Naoko Yamazaki (Astronaut, local of Matsudo)
- Matsudo Community Planning Council
We will ask finalists to submit video letters for the final judgement.
２） Notification of Selection Results
The chosen artist(s) will be individually notified by August 30th, 2016.
Selection results will be posted on our website by September 30th, 2016.
・広報協力（Web サイト、SNS など）
Project Implementation: Whenever LONG Stay Program is not on.
What we provide
-Residence (PARADISE AIR)
-Finding a venue for performance/event
-Assistance in publicity activities (on Web, SNS)
Matsudo Community Planning Council Executive Office (Inside Machizu Creative Co., Ltd.)
Address: #401, Hamatomo Bld., 15-4, Honcho, Matsudo-shi, Chiba, JAPAN