People traveling out of Edo – or Tokyo, as it is known today – would first cross the Edogawa River and find themselves in Matsudo. The city has also served as an important transit point for people heading to Edo/Tokyo from places outside the city, including Narita Airport. Over the centuries, it seems that this unique geographical trait fostered a warm-hearted and open-minded spirit in Matsudo, a spirit that embraces the comings and goings of others. It is in such an environment that PARADISE AIR runs its residency programs, which invite artists, curators, researchers and other bright minds from across the globe. Its six years of activity have seen a wealth of artistic activities and experiences occur right here in the city of Matsudo.
This year, we have invited Futoshi Hoshino as the program’s guest researcher, who will be accompanying the artists on their residency. The theme of the open call is “Unknown Pleasures.” Also, the term of the residency will be divided into two parts – Research and Creation – which will hopefully offer artists a chance to observe and engage with the city in more depth. We look forward to receiving all your applications.
More information about activities of PARADISE AIR
More information about Matsudo City
2. Program Theme
Ever since I was invited to be on the selection committee for PARADISE AIR’s LONGSTAY Program, I have been thinking about “Unknown Pleasures,” the title of Joy Division’s debut album. I am neither an artist nor someone making their living in the arts – my own line of work is philosophy. But I have always been involved with art and with artists, because of all the “unknown pleasures” that they have shown me. I hope to meet on this program not those who are necessarily “open to all,” but those who are able to share such secret pleasures with us in Matsudo.
Futoshi Hoshino (2019 Guest Researcher)
3. Application Overview
Application period: April 1 (Mon) – April 30 (Tue), 2019
Announcement of result: Early June 2019
[Research] Around 10 days between July 16 (Tue) and August 6 (Tue)
[Creation] October 15 (Tue) – December 15 (Sun)
No. of residents: Several
*We welcome group applications.
What we provide:
- Travel expenses for two round trips between the artist’s place of residence and Matsudo
- Accommodation at PARADISE AIR
- Production budget of up to 200,000 JPY (to be discussed with PARADISE AIR Office)
- Daily stipend of 3,000 JPY
- Coordination and assistance regarding securing venues for presenting works, marketing/promotion, etc.
- Other expenses related to transporting artworks and equipment
- Oct. 15 (Tue): Arrival in Japan
- Oct. 19 (Sat): Meet-and-greet with locals
- Dec. 14 (Sat) – 15 (Sun): Open Studio / End-of-residency presentation
- Dec. 17 (Tue): Departure from Japan *Stay may be extended until end of month.
Applicants must fulfill the following conditions:
- Be able to actively engage with the city
- Currently be working in the field of art, engaged in activities related to the creation of contemporary art
- Be able to engage and enjoy a good relationship with other guest artists and local residents during the residency
- Be of sound physical and mental health
- Be able to take part inthe events listed in the program outline above
- Show flexibility regarding program scheduling and stipulations proposed by the organizers
- Be able to communicate in either Japanese or English.
- Copyright and ownership of any work created during the program will remain with the artist.
- PARADISE AIR retains the right to photograph and film the production process, events, performances, workshops, and exhibitions conducted by the artist during the program.
- We ask for the artists’ cooperation regarding said photographing and filming of the residency, and regarding media coverage.
- We ask that visiting artists make their own arrangements regarding health and accident PARADISE AIR is unable to offer any insurance coverage.
- While we generally only offer accommodation tothe selected applicants, we still encourage applications from those who wish to bring their spouse and/or children. Please indicate clearly in the application if you wish to do so.
- Artists should arrange their own meals during their residency using their daily stipend. There are many restaurants nearby, and there is also a kitchenette available for use at our facilities.
6. Application Procedure
Please fill in the form (in English or Japanese) on the following page to enter the selection process. Once submission is complete, an automated confirmation e-mail will be sent by Google Form to your e-mail address. Please make sure to check it.
Please download A. Application Form at the link below, and fill in the required details in Japanese or English.
Please prepare a folder containing A. Application Form, B. Porfolio and Other Materials, and C. Passport Scan, and send a link to the e-mail address below. Please upload your files to an online storage service (such as Dropbox and Google Drive) and send us a download link, rather than attach your files to the e-mail.
A. Application Form
Please download the form from the link under “STEP 2” and fill in the necessary details in Japanese/English.
B. Portfolio and Other Materials
This should consist of materials introducing and detailing up to three of your works.Portfolios will be printed out in A4 for the selection process. For video- and audio-based works, we also accept links to YouTube, Vimeo, SoundCloud, etc. If uploading your files online, please make sure to set “PARADISE” as the password.
C. Passport Scan
Please send a scan of your passport with the photograph and details clearly visible/legible. When applying as a group, please send scans for each individual applicant.
Subject line: “PAIR2019_[Applicant’s name]”
Application deadline: April 30 (Tue) 2019, 24:00 JST (GMT+9)
*You will not receive a confirmation e-mail after completing STEP 3.
*You will receive an e-mail from after May 1 if there are any issues regarding the materials submitted in STEP 3. If you do not receive an e-mail by May 10 (Fri), it means that we have received and are processing your submission.
- A committee of PARADISE AIR staff, external judges and representatives of the local community will review the applications based on the materials submitted.
- We will individually contact those who pass the screening process bymid-
- For the later stages of selection, we will be asking applicants to prepare and submit video letters introducing themselves.
- (The deadline for the video letter is roughly one week after the notification of the screening results.)
- Finalists will be individually notified by the end of May.
- The chosen artist(s) will be individually notified by the end of June.
- The final result will be made public on our website around the first week of July.
You can contact us with your questions at the e-mail address below. Please note, however, that we are unable to answer any questions regarding the selection process. You can also see our FAQ at the following link.
We wish you the best of luck!