Since last year, PARADISE AIR has been running the MATSUDO AWARD program to invite artists who are closely connected with the city of Matsudo to create artwork in the city.
This year, as a response to the current situation, we are launching a call to offer a special 3-week experience at PARADISE AIR, allowing artists to create artworks in Matsudo in this time of coronavirus outbreak. MATSUDO AWARD will temporarily change its name to MATSUDO “QOL” AWARD and only invite artists who live within 60 minutes of Matsudo station. QOL means “Quality of Life,” but here, we also aim to provide a safe place for artists while maintaining the state of “Quarantine of Laureate.”
With much of the world under isolation in this time of coronavirus, it has become a difficult situation for arts and culture than ever before. Direct interaction with others and opportunities for artists to create work and present them have been limited. This is a project where we start whatever we can do to support artists in this situation.
Please read “What PARADISE AIR can/cannot do” carefully and understand what is written before completing your application.
*We ask that the chosen artists follow PARADISE AIR’s rules and flexibly responds to each matter. Please remember that you remain responsible for the safety of yourself, PARADISE AIR staff, and residents of Matsudo.
*In order to not create a situation where people gather at PARADISE AIR, all communication, including meetings and interactions among artists, will be done remotely.
*Please kindly note that this program may be cancelled at any time due to Japanese Government, Chiba prefectural government, and Matsudo city government guidelines. (link: Matsudo City Website “About Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)”)
The chosen artist will be provided funding (per diem per stay) which can be used for living expenses during the program, a private space, and production time at PARADISE AIR.
By offering a working environment separated from home for a set period of time (three weeks), this program aims to create time and space for artists to focus on creation for the future of themselves and their works.
Besides creating your work, we ask all artists to keep a record of their everyday life during residency. (The records may be published online through PARADISE AIR’s “note” account, a Japanese media platform.)
Online meetings will be held occasionally, and at the beginning and end of residency, we are planning to invite previous PARADISE AIR residents from overseas to the meetings to promote exchanges between artists.
Although it is a difficult time to step outside the residence other than taking a walk or going grocery shopping, the city of Matsudo is a place where you can enjoy your walk while social-distancing; a rich natural environment, such as Edogawa river in the neighborhood will comfort your stay. We will introduce previous residents’ favorites in Matsudo at the beginning of residency. And at the end of residency, you will be sharing the records of your daily life and that will hopefully make artists living far from Matsudo a chance to imagine and create.
Throughout the nation, arts, culture, and its public nature is in a moment of crisis. However, since those qualities in Matsudo are rooted deeply in people’s lifestyle and everyday life, we would like to believe that they will be able to survive toughly and lithely under any circumstances. We will continue to place trust and always support artists. We look forward to receiving applications from those who can cooperate to examine our beliefs.
Monday, May 18, 2020 at 5 p.m. – Sunday, July 26, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. (JST)
The selection process and announcement of results for each residency period will be done approximately within 2 weeks after each application deadline.
A selection committee, by those involved, will determine the best applicant from the submitted materials. As much as we put a value on the plan of the artwork the applicant proposes to work on during the stay, we also deeply value his/her willingness and ability to communicate well with our staff.
Before the final decision, successful candidates will have an online interview with PARADISE AIR staff via Zoom. The chosen artist will be individually notified after the interview. Selection results will be made public on our website.
Residency Periods (3 weeks each)
- Tuesday, June 16 – Tuesday, July 7 (Application deadline: May 31)
- Tuesday, July 14 – Tuesday, August 4 (Application deadline: June 28)
- Tuesday, August 11 – Tuesday, September 1 (Application deadline: July 26)
One (1) artist for each period (1, 2, and 3)
Artists from all fields of art are welcome to apply.
Artists of Japanese and foreign nationality who meet the following application requirements.
- Physically and mentally healthy.
- An individual aged 18 or over and currently active in the field of art.
- Living within 60 minutes of Matsudo station. (You will be informing us the shortest transit time from your nearest station to Matsudo in the application form.)
- Must be able to keep a record of one’s daily life during residency and agree that they may be published online through PARADISE AIR’s website and/or “note” account.
- Must be able to refrain from using any public transportation or returning home throughout the stay.
- Have the flexibility to respond to what PARADISE AIR asks you to do, such as checking and reporting one’s body temperature every day and communicating online with staff.
- Have the flexibility to agree and follow proposals, rules, change of schedules made by staff regarding the changing situation.
- Must be able to prepare and bring all equipment, art mediums, and supply one intends to use during their residency.
- Be sure to responsibly go through the entire process from applying to ending residency.
- Be willing to cherish and enjoy the connection with PARADISE AIR and Matsudo even after the program.
- Be able to communicate in Japanese and/or English.
Basic Information on Matsudo Station
Expected travel time from Matsudo station to major stations nearby (minimum transit time according to Navitime)
|Kashiwa station||8min||by JR Joban Line|
|Abiko station||13min||by JR Joban Line|
by JR Joban Line and Tobu Urban Park Line
by Shinkeisei Electric Railway and Tobu Urban Park Line
|Shin-Tsudanuma station||40min||by Shinkeisei Line|
by JR Joban Line, Musashino Line, and Keiyo Line
|Keisei-Sakura station||58min||by JR Joban Line and Keisei Line|
|Ueno station||18min||by JR Ueno Tokyo Line Special Rapid|
|Tokyo station||24min||by JR Ueno Tokyo Line Special Rapid|
|Shinagawa station||33min||by JR Ueno Tokyo Line Special Rapid|
|Shinjuku station||39min||by JR Ueno Tokyo Line and Yamanote Line|
|Shibuya station||48min||by JR Joban Line and Yamanote Line|
by Tokyo Metro Chiyoda Line (connected to JR Joban Line)
What PARADISE AIR 'can' offer you
- A room at PARADISE AIR. (Free heat, light, water, and internet.)
For more details about our facilities, please go to: http://paradiseair.info/about/equipment
- Per diem of 3,000 JPY per stay, per person. (Paid before the first day of residency.)
- An opportunity to “meet” with previous PARADISE AIR resident artists (from overseas) online.
- Online PR assistance.
- Coordination of presentation of your work after the coronavirus crisis ends.
What PARADISE AIR 'cannot' offer you
- Assistance or coordination by PARADISE AIR staff in person during your stay. All communication between artists and staff will be done remotely.
- You cannot conduct field research in the city of Matsudo, such as visiting public facilities or interviewing local people. You are only allowed to take a walk or go grocery shopping in the state of quarantine.
- You cannot invite others to real-world spaces to present your work during or even right after residency.
- You cannot extend your stay.
- You cannot make brief visits to your home or use public transportation during residency.
- PARADISE AIR may not serve as an insurer nor guarantor. Residents are responsible for their own health and accident insurance.
How to Apply
- Email address
- Mailing address
- Nearest train station to your house
- Shortest travel time (minutes) to Matsudo station
Search in English：Japan Travel by Navitime
- Means of transportation if you are not coming by train. (Please note that there are no parking spaces for cars nor bicycles at PARADISE AIR.)
- Residency period you would like to apply for. (multiple choice)
- Link to website(s) that present your work.
- What are you planning to do during residency? Please describe your intended project. (Japanese – 500 characters or less / English – 250 words or less)
If you have any ideas on how to record your everyday life during residency, please feel free to write them down. (optional)
- Agreement on the program
（Illustration by Haruka Shinji）